Tahoe City in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Post War, 1946 to 1955
Peacetime Changes Tahoe City
Prior to this era, you had to travel a long way to buy a new refrigerator or clothes washer. That changed when Basil Kehoe transformed Atherton’s Store into an appliance business. New restaurants and lodging sprang up. Tahoe Lake School was remodeled and enlarged. Life indeed was changing in Tahoe City.
Andrew “Red” Anderson – Proprietor of Village Store • Geri (Bean) Lawson – First grade teacher for three generations • Donald and Margit Del Carlo – Owners of the Swedish Farmhouse restaurant • Harold R. “Stinky” Farr – First in-the-field employee of Tahoe City Public Utility District • A.M. “Joe”
Erected 2008 by Rotory Club of Tahoe City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 39° 10.292′ N, 120° 8.4′ W. Marker is in Tahoe City, California, in Placer County. Marker can be reached from North Lake Boulevard (State Highway 26), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at Heritage Plaza next to the Watson Cabin Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City CA 96145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tahoe City Begins, 1860 to 1895 (here, next to this marker); Pioneer Tourism, 1896 to 1926 (here, next to this marker); Southern Pacific, 1926 to 1945 (here, next to this marker); Olympic Silver, 1956 to 1971 (here, next to this marker); Early Tahoe City (a few steps from this marker); Tahoe City Tahoe City’s “Big Tree” (a few steps from this marker); The Watson Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahoe City.
Also see . . . History of Granlibakken Resort. The story of skiing at Granlibakken, which in Norwegian means "a hillside sheltered by fir trees". (Submitted on August 26, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.