Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Housed the Opera House
Various Mercantile Enterprises
Erected by Graham Historic District Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 36° 4.251′ N, 79° 24.031′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Harden Street on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Main Street, Graham NC 27253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Built to House the Alamance Gleaner (within shouting distance of this marker); The Harden House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wrike Drug (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vestal Hotel (about 400 feet away); Alamance County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away); Alamance County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Graham's First Bank (about 700 feet away); National Bank of Alamance (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
Regarding Montwhite Building. According to the City of Graham's website:
In 1906 Edwin Holt White and Thomas Montgomery, of the Mont-White Theater Company, purchased the lot and built this three-story building, now locally known as “The Opera House."
The first floor was used for mercantile purposes, the second floor held the stage and orchestra seats, and the balcony was on the third floor.
The first play opened on October 19, 1907. “A Question of Husbands” opened to a packed house. The theater was one of the more elaborate in the area and hosted many reputable touring companies with ticket prices ranging from 50 cents to $1.00. When no professional performances were scheduled, the theater was opened for civic functions, fraternal meetings, and plays by amateur groups.
It ceased to operate as a theater in 1921.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. 3. submitted on August 29, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.