Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Garden Club
Founders’ Memorial Garden which commemorates the founders of America’s first garden club. The Ladies Garden Club organized in 1891, Athens, Georgia. This garden was developed on University of Georgia campus by University’s Landscape Architecture Department and the Garden Club of Georgia.
Erected 1950 by Ladies Garden Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 33° 57.314′ N, 83° 22.579′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of South Lumpkin Street and Bocock Street, on the right when traveling north on South Lumpkin Street. The marker is on the western edge of the University of Georgia campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Herty Field (about 400 feet away); Site of First Classes (about 600 feet away); Chapel Bell (about 600 feet away); Abraham Baldwin (about 600 feet away); Robert Toombs Oak (about 700 feet away); Old College (about 700 feet away); The Red and Black (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Also see . . . Garden Club of Georgia. The Garden Club of Georgia maintains a site with information on the club, the gardens, and more. (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.