Santee in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
KCBQ “Top 40” Personalities
1958 to 1978
[ Upper Plaque: ]
In 1958, here at 9416 Mission Gorge Road, then owner Lee Bartell built the KCBQ AM 1170 radio broadcast facility with its 50,000 watt transmitter and six two-hundred foot towers. For many years, KCBQ AM 1170 was San Diego's only 50,000 watt AM radio station. From this location, between 1958 and 1978, many legendary radio personalities broadcast the best "Top 40" music, news, and entertainment to all of San Diego County. During this period, KCBQ AM 1170 was one of the best known and imitated radio stations in the broadcast industry.
[ Lower Plaque: ]
Dex Allen Gary Allyn Paul Oscar Anderson Frank Anthony Kathy Aunan Chris Bailey Jim Barker K.O. Bayley Buzz Bennett Bill Bishop Barry Boyd Boyn R. Britton B. Bailey Brown “The Chucker” Chuck Browning Jim Buckalew Mike Butts Gerry Gagle Christopher Cane Reid Carroll “Big” John Carter Charlie & Harrigan Chuck “The Magic Christian” Robert L. Collins Dave Conley Chuck Cooper Scotty Day John DeMott Joel Denver Ed Deverl Thom Devine Sam Diego Mason
Special thanks to Sonny West for organizing the 1990 KCBQ reunion
Erected 2010 by Friends of KCBQ AM 1170.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1958.
Location. 32° 50.334′ N, 116° 59.645′ W. Marker is in Santee, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Mission Gorge Road one mile east of San Clemente Canyon Freeway (California Highway 52), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9416 Mission Gorge Road, Santee CA 92071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mission Dam and Flume (approx. 2.8 miles away); Amaziah Lord Knox (approx. 3.6 miles away); Historic El Cajon Hall (approx. 3.6 miles away); Lakeside Auto Speedway (1907) (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mexican Grant (approx. 5½ miles away); San Diego State University (approx. 6.4 miles away); Bancroft Ranch House (approx. 6½ miles away); The Church (approx. 7½ miles away).
More about this marker. This marker was dedicated on August 28, 2010 with over 400 fans and former workers in attendance!
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2010, by Christopher O Carmichael of Santee, California. This page has been viewed 3,538 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2010, by Christopher O Carmichael of Santee, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.