High Point in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Little Red Schoolhouse
The Little Red Schoolhouse was built 1930 adjacent to the Ray Street Elementary School (corner of Montlieu and N Hamilton Streets) to accommodate a growing student body. It was designed by local architect Louis Voorhees as a tribute to the old one-room schoolhouse. The building housed a classroom for first graders, with a restroom and a small “library” in the bay window area. Ray Street School was destroyed in a major fire in 1961. The “Little Red Schoolhouse” escaped damage. The building was used in a variety of ways and was High Point’s first historical museum from 1964 to 1969. In 1988 it was moved to its current location. It is owned by the city and operated by the High Point Museum. Future plans call for it to be open for special events.
If you are walking the Greenway and have a few extra minutes, come to the High Point Museum, located at 1859 E Lexington Avenue, one block west. The museum is open Tuesday – Saturday from 10 – 4:30 and Sunday from 1 – 4:30. Three additional historic structures adjacent to the museum are open Saturday 10 – 4 and Sunday from 1 – 4. FREE admission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 35° 58.806′ N, 79° 59.403′ W. Marker was in High Point, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker was on East Lexington Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 2011 E Lexington Ave, High Point NC 27262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Haley House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Haley House (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The Little Red Schoolhouse (about 500 feet away); The Blacksmith Shop (about 600 feet away); The Hoggat House (about 600 feet away); Oldest Building in High Point (about 700 feet away); Oldest Colonial Trail (about 700 feet away); Quatercentenary Tree (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Point.
More about this marker. Several photos of the inside of the schoolhouse appear on the marker. One shows a young girl sitting at a desk and has a caption of “All the students wanted to have class in the ‘Little Red Schoolhouse.’ It could only accommodate one of the first grade classes.”
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced with the linked marker which has different content.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,478 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 31, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.