Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887
The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
Omaha was a rich brew of immigrants, and many brought with them a well-developed taste for hops, giving rise to a half-dozen local breweries in the late 19th century. In 1887, Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis built a distribution complex in Omaha, designed by Henry Voss in the Romanesque style. The existing office building is all that remains of four buildings, which also included a stable, the bottling department, and a combination beer vault and icehouse. The complex had a refrigeration capacity equivalent to 10 railcars of beer. The company employed 16 men and six teams of horses for deliveries. Prohibition capped the beer business in 1916, but later the complex housed the Industrial Chemical Supply Co. and a furniture-stripping firm. In the 1960s and 1970s, the office building was a private residence for several different individuals. In 1989, Alley Poyner Architecture renovated the interior as office space for its own business. In 1988, a finial over the west doorway was toppled by wind and then stolen. It has never been recovered.
Erected by The Old Market.
Topics. This historical marker is listed Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 41° 15.195′ N, 95° 55.955′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is on Jones Street, on the left when traveling west. Building is between 12th and 13th Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1213 Jones Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Skinner Macaroni Building 1914-1915 (about 600 feet away); Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904 (about 800 feet away); J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morse Coe Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Windsor Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baum Iron Company Building 1880 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millard Block 1880-1881 (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Regarding Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887. Building entry in the 1996 Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District National Register of Historic Places Nomination:
The Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot Office was designed in 1887 by architect Henry Voss. The beer depot was operated by Anheuser-Busch until prohibition was approved in Nebraska in 1916. Since then it has been used as an office for a number of
The building is designed in the Victorian Romanesque style of architecture. Emphasis is given to the Jones Street facade through the use of red pressed-brick walls with terra cotta trim. Brick with rounded ends are also used along this front for the building corners, the heads and jambs of both windows and doors, and the brick pilasters. A rich variety of color and texture is visible on the front of the building, Particularly notable features include the cut terra cotta trim and the copper coping, finials and wall cornice.
Also see . . . The Old Market. (Submitted on September 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,348 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.