Belton in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greenville & Columbia RR / Belton
Erected 2009 by Belton Area Museum Association. (Marker Number 4-36.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 34° 31.317′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belton SC 29627, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belton Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Belton / Historic Belton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Belton Standpipe (about 600 feet away); Belton Academy / Central School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chamberlain-Kay House (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church of Belton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Belton Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Rocky River Baptist Association Headquarters (approx. 1½ miles away); Dorchester Baptist Church World War II Veterans Plaque (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cooley's Bridge (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belton.
Also see . . . Greenville & Columbia. This road was chartered in 1845, construction began in 1849 and was completed in 1854. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Proposed Marker Text - Final Shows on Marker
The following text was originally proposed by the museum. It was altered to what appears on the marker.
In order to access the agricultural bounty of the upstate, in 1845 a route was proposed connecting the Piedmont Region to the existing rail system from Columbia to Charleston. At this point on the tracks, a spur line was laid toward Anderson, and the city of Belton developed at this rail junction. By 1853 the Greenville-Columbia RR (later the Southern RR) and the Blue Ridge RR (the spur line) offered passenger and freight service.
At the railroad junction, the city square formed around the original depot. Incorporated in 1855, the city was named after Judge John Belton O’Neall, the President of the G&C RR. An electric rail system was added in 1902 and by 1912 the Piedmont and Northern line was completed. In 1914 the city could boast that 85 trains or trolleys of the Southern, Blue Ridge or P&N rail lines passed through Belton daily. The Historic Belton Train Depot was built in 1909.
— Submitted October 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,630 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on September 12, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on September 26, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on October 13, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.