Salt Lake City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
— Original building, 1852; Glass monument, 1992 —
settlers built the Social Hall in 1852, just five years after their arrival in the Salt Lake Valley. The simple adobe building was evidence of the strong tradition of theater in Mormon culture. The original Social Hall was demolished in 1922. In 1990, workers discovered the hall’s foundation while excavating for a walkway beneath State Street. Two years later, a glass structure mirroring the original size and shape of Social Hall was built on top of the foundation. To see the Social Hall foundation and an exhibit about the building, enter the glass structure and proceed to the basement level.
Erected by Utah Heritage Foundation. (Marker Number 8.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 46.084′ N, 111° 53.277′ W. Marker is in Salt Lake City, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 South State Street, Salt Lake City UT 84111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Social Hall (here, next to this marker); The Salt Lake Theatre (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Building (about 300 feet away); Alta Club Building (about 400 feet away); Federal Reserve Bank (about 500 feet away); A Private School House (about 500 feet away); Eagle Gate 1859 (about 600 feet away); Templeton Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salt Lake City.
More about this marker. This building is Tour Stop 8 on the Utah Heritage Foundation Downtown Walking Tour.
Regarding Social Hall. Photo #3 Caption:
Construction of the Deseret Gymnasium on the LDS Church Administration block in 1910 once again left the Social Hall seeking a tenant. It was used for lectures, an art gallery, church cafeteria, a University of Utah teachers’ training school, a Red Cross volunteer center, and for various kinds of amateur plays and entertainment before it was renovated in 1918 for the University of Utah’s “Little Theater”
The building was loaned to the University of Utah for use as a drama class laboratory. The architectural firm of Miller, Woolley, and Evans restored the building to its original use by fitting out the interior for a theater. The exterior was replastered and painted yellow and white. Actors used the dressing rooms on both sides of the behind-stage Green Room, and in the basement. Narrow stairs connected the two levels. A plaque on the new front porch announced
During two seasons, September to April students offered entertaining plays at popular prices and featured visiting directors and actors.
This renovation postponed demolition of the building for three years. After a futile search for a tenant the building was closed in December 1921 and the torn down the following year.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 774 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 15, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.