Seabrook in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Captain William Plunkett Harris
Early Texas Entrepreneur and Pioneer Settler
Harris was active in the early efforts to reform the Mexican government's control of Texas. He served as a representative from this area to the Conventions of 1832 and 1835. As a member of the Consultation of 1835 he was selected chairman of the Committee on Naval Affairs. He also served on the General Council until becoming collector of customs for the Port of Galveston in 1836.
Harris operated his steamboat "Cayuga" during the Texas Revolution, providing passage to settlers fleeing the advancing Mexican army. At Galveston, April 15-26, 1836, his boat served as temporary capitol for the interim Texas government. After the Revolution Harris served in local government and also pioneered in the planning of the area rail
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 35.92′ N, 94° 59.201′ W. Marker is in Seabrook, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Palm Street 0.1 miles north of El Jardin Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seabrook TX 77586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prehistoric Indian Campsite (approx. 0.6 miles away); Houston Yacht Club (approx. 1.6 miles away); Isaiah P. Walker House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ritson Morris and Elmwood Plantation (approx. 2.6 miles away); Sylvan Beach Pavilion (approx. 3.9 miles away); The La Porte-Sylvan Beach Depot (approx. 4.1 miles away); La Porte's Original Library (approx. 4.1 miles away); Saint Mary's Seminary (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seabrook.
Also see . . . William Plunkett Harris. (Submitted on September 23, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 968 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.