Near Hitchcock in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for World War I army Colonel Elmer J. Wallace, Camp Wallace was established as a training facility for military personnel during World War II. The U. S. government acquired more than 3,300 acres of land between the towns of Hitchcock and Alta Loma on State Highway 6 for placement of the facility.
Construction began in November 1940. Before the erection of structures, 17 miles of access roads were built, 29 miles of electrical lines were installed, and a 3.9-mile spur rail track from the main rail line were laid. The site contained a total of 399 structures. Some buildings were constructed at Galveston's Fort Crockett and transported to the site, including a cold storage depot, bakery, laundry, and morgue. The camp contained a medical facility, 161 barracks, and a service club.
By May 1941 the camp accommodated 10,250 people, including officers, enlisted personnel, and civilian staff. Training continued through World War II. The site also housed German prisoners of war. In April 1945, Camp Wallace was transferred to naval supervision, and later served as a distribution center releasing veterans back into civilian
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 21.476′ N, 95° 2.666′ W. Marker is near Hitchcock, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 6, on the left when traveling south. Marker is in Jack Brooks Park near the picnic tables. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hitchcock TX 77563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U. S. Naval Air Station (here, next to this marker); City of Hitchcock (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hitchcock Depot (approx. 1½ miles away); Stringfellow Orchards (approx. 1.7 miles away); Miller-Brautigam Home (approx. 2.3 miles away); Original Site of First Baptist Church of Alta Loma (approx. 2.4 miles away); Alta Loma (approx. 2.4 miles away); Alta Loma Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hitchcock.
The site of Camp Wallace is not near this marker. The camp has been taken over by forest. Photo #4 shows some remains about 1 1/2 miles from the marker at N 29° 22.293' W 095° 02.910'
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: War, World II
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2020. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,288 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 18, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 4. submitted on January 18, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.