Texas City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First Texas City Refinery
Through the years more land was purchased, extra storage tanks were built, and facilities were modernized as technology advanced. Petroleum products made during both world wars provided significant contributions to the nation's defense. World War II production demands caused Texas City's population to nearly triple.
Despite economic shifts, natural disasters and accidents, oil industry fluctuations, and multiple owners, this refinery has been an integral part of the area for over eight decades, providing employment for hundreds of employees, and infusing millions of dollars into local, regional, and national economies. Now an upgraded, modern facility, the refinery's capacity for processing crude oil
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15269.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 29° 22.534′ N, 94° 54.268′ W. Marker is in Texas City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Texas City Port Boulevard (Loop State Highway 197) and Dock Road, on the right when traveling north on Texas City Port Boulevard. Located at the entrance to the Port of Texas City. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1301 Loop 197 S, Texas City TX 77590, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas City Terminal Railway Company (here, next to this marker); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sociedad Mutualista Mexicana in Texas City (approx. 0.9 miles away); Davison Home (approx. one mile away); Anchor from Freighter Grand Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Aero Squadron (approx. 1.4 miles away); Texas City Dike (approx. 1.4 miles away); Anchor Park (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Texas City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,081 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 18, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.