Fort Scott in Bourbon County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The quartermaster was the officer responsible for a multitude of functions needed to run a military post, including supply, subsistence, construction, and repair. Most of his operation took place here, in the area called the quartermaster complex. On a typical day around 1850, a clamor of activity would have filled the air. Wagons, horses, shouting, the clang of hammer on iron, even the smell of baking bread were all part of the scene.
The complex contained a storehouse, bakery, ice house, corrals, scale house, storage yards, and a large, rectangular quadrangle consisting of workshops and warehouses. The quadrangle area included carpenter, blacksmith, wheelwright, and saddler shops, corn cribs, grain bins, and stables for oxen and mules.
Of the complex's original structures, only the quartermaster storehouse, bake house, and one other stone building survive.
Erected 1998 by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Scott KS 66701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Where Was the Bathroom? (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Crack Post of the Frontier" (within shouting distance of this marker); Infantry Life (within shouting distance of this marker); Free to Learn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tallgrass Prairie Trail (about 300 feet away); Back Yards (about 300 feet away); The Heart of Fort Scott (about 300 feet away); Call 911: Civil War Style (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Scott.
Also see . . . The Quartermaster at Fort Scott. (Submitted on September 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.