Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty
Charles Holmes Herty, one of America’s outstanding chemists, was born on this site December 4, 1867. He spent his early life in Milledgeville where he attended the Middle Georgia Agricultural and Military College (now Georgia College). Later he studied at John Hopkins and at European universities. Aided by his efforts, American chemistry became a giant industrial enterprise, and the Georgia pine became a valuable raw product in this new industry.
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 005-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 4, 1867.
Location. 33° 4.846′ N, 83° 13.796′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on West Hancock Street, 0 miles North Wilkinson Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker stands in front of the main buildings on the campus of Georgia College Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Charles Holmes Herty (here, next to this marker); Georgia State Penitentiary (a few steps from this marker); Baldwin County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Allen Strain (within shouting distance of this marker); De Soto in Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Seal of Georgia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Seal of Georgia and the Unfinished Acts of the Legislature, 1864 (about 300 feet away); Tomlinson Fort House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text, erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location. (Johns Hopkins was properly spelled on the earlier marker.)
Also see . . . Charles Herty. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on October 8, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,060 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.