Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Perry Building
— Whitehead Memorial Museum —
Erected 1871, before Del Rio was founded, by John Perry, as general store. Once the largest store between San Antonio and El Paso. Served also as courthouse, church, Masonic lodge, post office.
Given in 1965 to city and county by descendants of Walter and Will Whitehead.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3777.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 29° 21.078′ N, 100° 53.886′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on S. Main Street south of E. Duke Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is on the west face of the Old Perry Building, above the entrance to the Whitehead Memorial Museum. S. Main Street is one block west of Pecan Street, and the museum is approximately one mile south of downtown Del Rio and W. Garfield Street (U.S. Hwy. 277). Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seminole-Negro Scouts (here, next to this marker); Roy Bean, C. S. A. (here, next to this marker); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mason-Foster House (approx. ¼ mile away); Canal System of Del Rio (approx. 0.4 miles away); Max and Anna Stool (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Del Rio National Bank Building (approx. half a mile away); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Also see . . . Whitehead Memorial Museum. (Submitted on October 2, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.