Hampton in Hampton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
World War II POW Camp
German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from September 1943 to the spring of 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was a sub-camp of Fort Jackson, in Columbia. 250 prisoners captured in North Africa were the first held here; later arrivals were captured in Italy and France. The camp averaged about 250 prisoners at any time. POWs lived in tents with wooden floors or in wooden barracks.
The Hampton Armory across Hoover Street was headquarters for the U.S. Army officers in charge. POWs worked 8-10 hours a day, harvesting peanuts, cutting pulpwood or lumber, or at the Plywoods-Plastics Corporation. They were paid 25 to 80 cents a day in scrip, which they spent at the camp store. When not working prisoners often tended small flower or vegetable gardens, or put on Sunday concerts.
Erected 2010 by The Hampton Museum & Visitors’ Center. (Marker Number 25-14.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1943.
Location. 32° 52.25′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton SC 29924, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Legion Hut (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hampton Colored School (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Hampton Colored School (approx. ¼ mile away); James Washington Moore House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Hampton High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Plywoods - Plastics Corporation / Westinghouse Micarta Division (approx. half a mile away); All Wars Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hampton County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
Regarding World War II POW Camp. Throughout the South-
Under the Geneva Convention the POWs could not be forced to work, but some volunteered to harvest crops and work in sawmills. They had orchestras, elaborate theater productions and choruses.
About 3,600 were enrolled in a school taught by other prisoners. They were old enough and wise enough to make use of the time while they were here. When they went home, the German government gave them credit for the college-level courses.
Related markers. Click here for list of markers that are related to this marker. of more S.C. and other POW markers
Also see . . . POW Camps in South Carolina. This list of Prisoner of War Camps, Italian Service Unit Camps, and Prisoner of War Hospitals .... (Submitted on October 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,698 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.