Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Deadwood City 1876
"Six weeks ago the site of Deadwood City was a heavy forest of pine timber, now it extends nearly a mile along Deadwood and Whitewood, and contains nearly two thousand of the most energetic, driving people on the continent. Every branch of business is represented,... houses are going up on every hand - immense [ox] trains are constantly arriving loaded with goods of all kinds."
Black Hills Pioneer, June 1876
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 22.62′ N, 103° 43.818′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Lee Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Deadwood 1876 (here, next to this marker); The Fire of 1879 (a few Jack McCall Capture Site (a few steps from this marker); Forest Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Flood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Black Hills Trust and Savings Bank (about 300 feet away); Historic Facade Replication (about 300 feet away); Ride High, T.C., Ride High (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,307 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.