“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sparks Glencoe in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Scott's Quarry

Scott's Quarry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Chris Nelson, November 7, 2009
1. Scott's Quarry Marker
Inscription.  Marble from this quarry, located nearby, was used to build the Washington Monument in Baltimore. Designed by architect Robert Mills and erected between 1815 and 1829, this was the first public monument erected to George Washington. The construction contract specified "the whole of the column is to be of the whitest and the best quality marble from Scott's Quarry." The quarry was operated from about 1810 to about 1855.
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Maryland Historical Trust series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1815.
Location. 39° 31.928′ N, 76° 42.154′ W. Marker is in Sparks Glencoe, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Western Run Road and Tanyard Road, on the right when traveling west on Western Run Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sparks Glencoe MD 21152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Scott’s Quarry
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Marble Quarry (approx. 2.6 miles away); Iron Ore Pit (approx. 2.7 miles away); Timber 1750 (approx. 2.7 miles away); Oregon Furnace (approx. 2.7 miles away); Furnace Operations - Management (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Community (approx. 2.7 miles away); Soot and Sweat (approx. 2.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,525 times since then and 56 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

May. 29, 2023