Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Towson in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Epsom Chapel

 
 
Epsom Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris Nelson, November 7, 2009
1. Epsom Chapel Marker
Inscription.  Built 1839 and located just West of this marker on land donated by Henry B. Chew of Epsom Estate, the chapel served Towsontown both as church and community center. The chapel was first used by Methodists and became the cradle of Methodism in Towson. Demolished, 1950.
 
Erected by Baltimore County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 39° 24.1′ N, 76° 35.991′ W. Marker is in Towson, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Virginia Avenue and East Joppa Road, on the right when traveling south on Virginia Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Towson MD 21286, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hometown Hero (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abisado (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
a different marker also named Baltimore County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guth Memorial Gateway (approx. half a mile away); Goucher College (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towson.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 26 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 15, 2020