Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. Army Camel Corps
The proposal to use camels for commerce and transportation in the arid Southwest came about in the 1830s, but it was under U.S. Secretary of War Jefferson Davis that the idea became a reality. The first shipment of camels arrived on the Texas Gulf Coast in 1856, and they were taken to Camp Verde (150 mi. NE of here) for training. Several expeditions made their way west through Del Rio, and this park was the site of one of their camps. Although the officers in charge wrote favorably of the Camel Corps, the Civil War brought the experiment to a close. Confederate troops stationed at nearby Fort Hudson found camels still in the area, and confirmed sightings of wild camels continued into the mid-20th century.
Erected 2002 by State Historical Committee. (Marker Number 12800.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Military. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 29° 22.171′ N, 100° 53.019′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Val Verde County (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Michie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cal Rodgers and the Vin Fiz (approx. Ό mile away); Site of Camp Del Rio (approx. 0.4 miles away); Langston School (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Felipe Independent School District (approx. 0.8 miles away); San Felipe High School (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Del Rio (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2010, by Tiffany Prentice of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,577 times since then and 147 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 12, 2010, by Tiffany Prentice of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on November 29, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.