Near Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cedar Creek Hundred
Erected 1932 by Historic Markers Commission. (Marker Number S 27.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 47.571′ N, 75° 15.286′ W. Marker is near Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Coastal Highway (Delaware Route 1), on the right when traveling north. On Route 1, east side of highway, just north of Creek. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28465 Paynter Rd, Milton DE 19968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mansion Farmer: the David Robbins Homestead (approx. 1.9 miles away); White's Chapel United Methodist Church The Holly Industry (approx. 3.1 miles away); Milton Public School #196-C (approx. 3.1 miles away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (approx. 3.1 miles away); Shipbuilding on the Broadkill (approx. 3.1 miles away); Ships and Men (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Also see . . . Cedar Creek Hundred. The counties of Delaware were originally divided into Hundreds based on the English use of dividing up counties. On October 25, 1682, William Penn directed that Delaware be divided into hundreds for the purposes of taxation. A "hundred" is an old English Saxon land division which is smaller than a county or shire and larger than a tithing. It comprised ten tithings of ten freeholder families each or one hundred families. The hundreds of Delaware originally served as judicial or legislative districts, but now they remain only as a basis for property tax assessment. (Submitted on October 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 818 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.