Near South Bend in St. Joseph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The cradle of the University of Notre Dame was built by Father Sorin in 1843. Originally intended for a community house it served for two years as a temporary college.
From 1845-1854 it was the residence of Sisters of the Holy Cross. Subsequently used as a college bakery. It became in 1880 the home of the lay Brothers in charge of the university farm.
Finally, after a thorough renovation, it was formally opened, March 19, 1906, as a house of studies for the Teaching Brothers of the Holy Cross. And in 1912 it became the headquarters of he Holy Cross Mission Band
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is March 19, 1788.
Location. 41° 42.107′ N, 86° 14.535′ W. Marker is near South Bend, Indiana, in St. Joseph County. Marker can be reached from Holy Cross Dr, on the right when traveling east. Located on the east Entrance to Old College on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Bend IN 46637, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. From a Letter of The Rev. Edward Sorin, CSC (within shouting Chaplain Corby of Gettysburg (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas A. Dooley, M.D. '48 (about 600 feet away); Notre Dame Fieldhouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Clarke Peace Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vetville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Knute Rockne (approx. half a mile away); Lou Holtz (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Bend.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2010, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,243 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2010, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.