Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Presidential District
History Link: A Trail to Deadwood's Past
In 1877 the gentle slopes of the hill became attractive to homeowners, who were being displaced by commercial growth on the flat land at the bottom of the gulch. By 1880 the cemetery had been moved further up the hill, clearing the way for new residential development. Within a few years the Ingleside neighborhood had replaced Forest Hill as the most fashionable quarter in town. Seth Bullock, Harris Franklin, Ben Baer, John Treber, Henry Frawley, George Ayres, Freeman Knowles and Charles and Jonas Zoellner all lived in Ingleside area, which was marked by large Queen Anne-style homes.
In time Ingleside became known as the Presidential District, since the neighborhood's streets were all named for all of the Presidents of the
After World War II, the Presidential area began to decline with the rest of Deadwood. Some of the largest homes — including the imposing Treber House — were claimed by fire, while others were converted into apartments and allowed to deteriorate. However, the legalization of limited stakes gaming in 1989 has helped revitalize the neighborhood. Most noticeably, gaming provided historic preservation funding for 22 Van Buren Street, which is now the public Adams House Museum. Many other private residences have been restored since the 1990s.
Erected by the Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 44° 22.275′ N, 103° 43.63′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Charles Street (U.S. 85) and Sherman Street (U.S. 85), on the left when traveling north on Charles Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers The Franklin’s Fine Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burlington Interurban Power Plant (about 500 feet away); George S. Mickelson Trail (about 500 feet away); Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad Yard (about 500 feet away); Interurban Trolley (about 500 feet away); The Smokestack - Reconstructed (about 500 feet away); Radial Brick Smokestack (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The Presidential District (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 772 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.