Center Point, Alabama
A Great New City Springs Forth
In the 1900s, Center Point boasted a one-room school, blacksmith, shop, grocery store, post office, a Baptist and Methodist church.
Andy Beard invented the coupling mechanism for railroad cars and sold it for $10,000. In 1924, Center Point Elementary rock school was constructed. In 1947, Cullen Scott discovered water to supply Center Point. Recognizing the potential for community growth, Paul Snow initiated development of Sun Valley subdivision and Erwin Elementary and High School. In 1967, Center Point became the largest unincorporated area in the U.S., boasting a population of 64,000, thriving businesses, recreational facilities, beautiful homes and churches.
In 1999, Jefferson County Commissioner Bettye Fine Collins called a meeting to discuss the Center Point Community. Center Point Action Committee formed to clean up the community. Betty
April 23, 2002 marked the election of the first mayor and council, which included: Mayor Tom Henderson, Council President Billie Davis and council members George Franklin, Roger Barlow, Jesse Miller, and Ken McIntyre.
The First City Hall was renovated at 19 20th Ct. NW; space was donated by Ronnie Roddam. Historic Center Point Elementary School was leased for a City Hall and renovated by volunteers under George Franklin. Significant accomplishments in Center Point include the acquisition of 17-acre Reed-Harvey Park, Center Point ballpark, and the Scott home for a library; the completion of Center Point Senior Center and membership in Five Mile Creek Greenway Partnership.
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department, The City of Center Point.
Location. 33° 38.554′ N, 86° 41.028′ W. Marker is in Center Point, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Center Point Pkwy (State Highway 75), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jefferson Warriors (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pinson, Alabama (approx. 3.4 miles away); Zion Memorial Gardens (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wilson Chapel And Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Roebuck Spring (approx. 4.4 miles away); Roebuck Springs Historic District (approx. 4.4 miles away); Trussville Furnace (approx. 4.6 miles away); Confederate Storehouse Burned By Federal Troops (approx. 4.6 miles away).
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,073 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. 3. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 8. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.