Tarrytown in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Memorial Church of Washington Irving”
This Church, known as St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, was built in 1868 as “The Memorial Church of Washington Irving.”
Since 1957, it has been The Roman Catholic Church of Immaculate Conception.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 41° 4.956′ N, 73° 51.522′ W. Marker is in Tarrytown, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway (U.S. 9) and College Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Broadway. It is next to Patriot Park and across the street from Sleepy Hollow Middle School. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tarrytown NY 10591, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tarrytown World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gold Star Mothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean & Viet Nam Memorial Monuments (within shouting distance of this marker); Andre Captured (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); André Captors MonumentSecond Reformed Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Philipsburg Manor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Asbury M. E. Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tarrytown.
Also see . . . Laying of the Corner-Stone of the Memorial Church of Washington Irving. New York Times article, July 6, 1866:
“Influenced by their contiguity to these points of interest to all the readers of [Washington Irving] as well as by the fact that no fitting testimonial to his memory has, as yet, been erected amid these now familiar scenes, the wardens and vestry of St. Mark’s Church have determined to set apart their new edifice ... as his memorial. In pursuance of this plan, they have purchased an eligible lot of land, situated on Broadway, the principal avenue of the village of Tarrytown, only fifty yards from the spot where Major Andre was captured, and where the ‘strange rider’ first appeared to the village schoolmaster; and are about to put thereon a beautiful structure of stone, to be known as the Memorial Church of Washingon Irving.” (Submitted on October 31, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on May 15, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the interior of the church • Can you help?