Lundy in Mono County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1967 by Bodie Chapter E Clampus Vitus and Mono County Board of Supervisors.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 10, 1861.
Location. 38° 1.668′ N, 119° 14.417′ W. Marker is in Lundy, California, in Mono County. Marker is on Lundy Lake Road, 7 miles west of U.S. 395, on the right when traveling west. Marker and campground are located at the end of Lundy Lake Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5901 Lundy Lake Road, Bridgeport CA 93517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Avalanche of 1911 (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mono Diggins (approx. 4.7 miles away); Grave of Adeline Carson Stilts (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Tioga Pass Road (approx. 6 miles away); Would-Be Miners and Occasional Tourists (approx. 6 miles away); Bennettville (approx. 6.2 miles away); Sheriff James P. Dolan (approx. 6.8 miles away); From Scrubland to Ranchland (approx. 8 miles away).
More about this marker. On either side of the Lundy marker sit two old safes that at one time held the gold processed in the area. The old safes have seen better days.
Regarding Lundy. The town of Lundy was originally known as Mill Creek. The post office closed in 1914. Much of the town ended up below Lundy Lake after the dam was built, but the campground at the end of the paved road occupies part of the original town area. O.J. Lundy, his wife and two daughters, including May Lundy left Mono County in 1882 and moved to Fresno, California where they lived out their lives.
The Lundy sawmill cut local timber which was carted by wagon to Bodie. Visitors to the Bodie National Monument will be seeing buildings built with wood from Lundy. Although Lundy is long gone, the wood used to build the town of Bodie remains.
Also see . . . Lundy. Pictures of the remains of the May Lundy Mine located above the historic town of Lundy. (Submitted on November 6, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,287 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 5, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 5, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.