Mendota in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
In front of you stands the Faribault House, built by long-time fur trader Jean-Baptiste in 1839. Faribault was originally from the Montreal area, and had been associated with the British and American fur traders since the late 1790s. He built this spacious home for his wife, Pelagie, and their children. In 1853, after Pelagie died, he and his son Alexander moved to what is now the town of Faribault
After Jean-Baptiste left, a series of owners tried to make a living as hoteliers. By the 1860s the once-thriving town of Mendota was losing ground to the rapidly growing Minneapolis and St. Paul. Once demand for temporary lodging fell off, the home became a farmhouse.
By 1900 the Sibley and Faribault homes were shells of their former glory. Both were used as warehouses for onions and potatoes, and a railroad spur was built right to the front of the house to facilitate loading and unloading. Originally restored by the Works progress Administration in the 1930s, the Faribault House was acquired by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1935.
The Faribault House became home to the substantial DAR
Just up the hill to the west is St. Peter's Catholic Church, the oldest parish in the state. Father Lucien Galtier arrived in the area in 1840, and by 1842 he built a chapel just west of the Faribault House. In 1853 Father Augustine Ravoux built a new chapel, which still stands today.
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), the Minnesota Historical Society, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 44° 53.264′ N, 93° 10.003′ W. Marker is in Mendota, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker is on D Street, 0.2 miles north of 1st Street / Sibley Memorial Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1357 Sibley Memorial Highway, Mendota MN 55150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Where the Waters Meet" (here, next to this marker); Mendota / Sibley House Association (within shouting The First Stone House (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Sibley and Old Mendota (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Henry Hastings Sibley (about 300 feet away); Paper Towns & Other Imaginary Worlds / Frontier Fortunes and Mississippi Mansions (about 400 feet away); A Great River's Road / Mendota, the Meeting Place (about 400 feet away); Sibley House Historic Site (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendota.
Also see . . .
1. Jean-Baptiste Faribault. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
2. Friends of the Sibley Historical Site. The Faribault House. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
3. Families of the Sibley Historical Site. Jean Baptiste Faribault. "In 1819, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Leavenworth, being impressed by Faribault's knowledge and understanding of the Dakota Indians, offered him military protection and assistance if he would settle near the new fort at the mouth of the St. Peter (Minnesota) River." (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 945 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 6, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on August 16, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 5. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.