Selma in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Built between 1870 and 1920, the varied architecture includes Italianate, Carpenter Gothic and Greek revival. The exteriors were authentically restored and the interiors, while adapted to contemporary living, retain many original features.
The area is called “Fairoaks Square” for “Fairoaks”, the original name of Henderson House, the restored ante bellum mansion that serves as conference center and guest house of Circle “S” Industries, Inc.
This project has received national acclaim from preservationists and serves as an example of commitment to the protection of the heritage of this country. It received a 1983 Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Erected 1983 by Alabama Historical Commission / City of Selma.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 24.71′ N, 87° 1.764′ W. Marker is in Selma, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Street and McLeod Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 626 Union Street, Selma AL 36701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Fairoaks” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sturdivant Hall (about 500 feet away); White - Force Cottage (about 700 feet away); Mabry - Jones Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Tyler Morgan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee - Bender - Butler House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ware - Baker - Jones House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Temple Mishkan Israel (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Selma.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.