El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Historic Sidewalk Clock
Introduced in the 1860s, sidewalk clocks were popular in American cities both as everyday conveniences and as advertising devices. A small business would buy a sidewalk clock and install it in front of the store, often painting the name of the business onto the clock face, or above the face on the bonnet. When the business owners moved, they usually took their clocks with them.
Julius H. Alberts, whose jewelry store is pictured here, was the clock's last owner. He donated this clock to the city of El Paso in 1929. Since then it has been located in different sites downtown.
The clock was completely restored in 2005 by David Seay of the Regulator Time Company, Manhattan, Kansas with a grant from
Introducidos durante los años de 1860, los relojes de calle se estilaban en las ciudades americanas tanto como un mecanismo útil de la vida cotidiana, así como aparato para la publicidad. Los pequeños negocios compraban su reloj de calle y lo instalaban al frente del local. Muchas veces la imagen del negocio aparecía en la esfera del mismo, o por encima de la esfera en el casquete. Cuando se trasladaban los negocios, normalmente se llevaban sus relojes.
Julius H. Alberts, cuya joyería aparece en la fotografía, fue el ultimo dueño de este reloj y en 1929 lo donó a la cuidad de El Paso. Ha estado en varios sitios del centro de la ciudad.
El reloj fue totalmente restaurado en 2005 por David Seay de Regulator Time Company, Manhattan, Kansas con un subsidio del Fondo Renaissance establecido en El Paso Community Foundation. El proyecto de restauración fue una colaboración entre El Paso Downtown Management District, Rio Grande Clock Club, City of El Paso y El Paso Community Foundation.
Erected by Historical El Paso County Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Landmarks.
Location. 31° 45.561′ N, 106° 29.317′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is at the intersection of North Oregon Avenue and Mills Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Oregon Avenue. Marker is located at the San Jacinto Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Camino Real (a few steps from this marker); San Jacinto Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); El Paso's Chinese Community (within shouting distance of this marker); The First United States Soldiers to Be Stationed at the Pass of the North (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of United States Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); El Paso County (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Cortez (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Woman's Club of El Paso (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.