Clarksville in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Union Wesley United Methodist Church and Campground
On December 18, 1873, the trustees of Union Wesley purchased the lot where the first church was built. Standing in the area where the cemetery is located, the building served the needs of the congregation until it was destroyed by fire in 1957. The present church was erected here on the former site of the District #207-C Blackwater School. The land had been obtained in 1951 following the destruction of the school by fire. The new church was completed in 1961.
Prior to the placement of permanent structures on the Wesley Campground, persons attending services used covered wagons for shelter. The wagons were placed
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-119.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion.
Location. 38° 32.705′ N, 75° 8.833′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Powell Farm Road (County Road 365), on the left. Located East side of Road 365, approximately .5 miles south of the intersection of DE Route 26 and County Road 365, Clarksville. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankford DE 19945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. George's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Blackwater Presbyterian Church U.S. Army Radar Site 11 (approx. 2˝ miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) (approx. 2˝ miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (second marker) (approx. 2˝ miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 2˝ miles away); Mariner’s Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Ocean View Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 983 times since then and 134 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.