Demopolis in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
Charter members 1839:
John B. Cook (first elder)
Mary S. Cook
Eleanor L. Lucy
Mariah S. Tillinghast
Benajah P. Whitlow
Eliza A. Whitlow
First resident pastor (1846-53);
The Rev. William Flinn
Organized with nine members by Tuscaloosa Presbytery, on November 1, 1839, the Rev. Isaac Hadden officiating. Erected brick building, still standing, on northeast corner of Public Square in 1843. Sold to Marengo County in 1869 for use as court house. Wooden church dedicated December 5, 1869, on present site donated by Dr. Cincinnatus Ashe. Major remodeling, 1905; steeple modification, 1936; Eastside addition, 1953; Northside addition, 1989.
Erected 1990 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1944.
Location. 32° 31.104′ N, 87° 50.173′ W. Marker is in Demopolis, Alabama, in Marengo CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Strawberry Avenue, Demopolis AL 36732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Demopolis Theater District (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman And (about 500 feet away); Marengo County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alabama Cattlemen’s Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple B’Nai Jeshurun (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bluff Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); White Bluff (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Demopolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.