Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
According to a plaque placed on its western wall at time of construction, Shiness was built in 1903 by Alexander James Matheson and named for his paternal grandmother's home in Sutherlandshire, Scotland. Matheson was born in Marlboro County in 1848, became a successful businessman and large landowner, married Sarah Ellen Jarnigan in 1870 and became the father of nine
children. He died in 1918 and is buried in McCall Cemetery in Bennettsville. Shiness was sold in 1939 to J. L. Powers, who converted it into apartments. A key structure in Bennettsville's 1978 National Register District, Shiness was purchased by William Light Kinney, Jr., in 1984 for adaptive use as business offices and retail shops.
Erected 1991 by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 35-31.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 34° 36.86′ N, 79° 40.923′ W. Marker is in Bennettsville, South Carolina Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Fayetteville Ave, Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Murchison School (a few steps from this marker); J.F. Kinney House / P.M. Kinney House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bennettsville Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Old Female Academy (about 700 feet away); Jennings-Brown House (about 700 feet away); Edward Crosland House (about 800 feet away); General John McQueen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bennettsville (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
Also see . . . Bennettsville Historic District National Register of Historic Place Nomination Form. The Shiness-Powers Apartments are included in the Bennettsville Historic District. (Submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.