Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse
This area become part of St. David's Parish in 1768, Cheraws District in 1769, and then Darlington County on March 12, 1785. In 1800 Darlington became a circuit court district, and again a county in 1868. Extensive territory was lost in 1888 and 1902 with the creation of new counties.
Darlington County Courthouse
The first courthouse at this site was destroyed by fire March 19, 1806. A later building, thought to have been designed by architect Robert Mills, burned in 1866 and in 1873 was rebuilt. The subsequent courthouse, built 1903-1904, was in use until 1964 when the present structure was completed.
Erected 1985 by Darlington County Bicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 16-22.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1837.
Location. 34° 18.19′ N, 79° 52.279′ W. Marker is in Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on Main St. (U.S. 52), on the left when traveling south. Between Pearl and Orange Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Darlington County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Darlington County Jail (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); “Yankee Hill” (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of First Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lawrence Reese (approx. 0.3 miles away); Darlington Memorial Center (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,131 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 4. submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.