Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tazewell in Marion County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Courthouse – 1848

<------<<<<

 
 
Old Courthouse – 1848 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
1. Old Courthouse – 1848 Marker
Inscription.  
This courthouse built in 1848 at a cost of $1,637 replaced one built in 1839 and was burned in 1845. The courthouse now in use was built at Buena Vista, then Pea Ridge, in 1850 when the county seat was moved. The first courthouse in Marion County was at Horry. Members of Marion Lodge No. 14 F. & A.M. established in 1840 have met in this old courthouse since its construction. Prior to this they met in the courthouse that was burned. This courthouse now marks the exact center of the new city limits established by incorporation in 1953.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 098-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 32° 22.83′ N, 84° 26.45′ W. Marker is in Tazewell, Georgia, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Dr. Deryl Hart Road (Georgia Route 137) and Ronnie Road (Georgia Route 240), on the left when traveling east on
Old Courthouse – 1848 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
2. Old Courthouse – 1848 Marker
Looking east (on GA Highway 137) at the marker and intersection with GA Highway 240.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Dr. Deryl Hart Road. The marker stand in front of the old courthouse, which is now the Post Office for Tazewell, and continues to serve as the Marion Masonic Lodge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buena Vista GA 31803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Courthouse - 1850 (approx. 6.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 8.9 miles away); Fort Perry (approx. 9.1 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 9.1 miles away); Schley County (approx. 12½ miles away); Schley County Confederate Monument (approx. 12½ miles away); History of Ellaville and Schley County (approx. 12.6 miles away); Stevens Cotton Gin (approx. 12.6 miles away).
 
Old Courthouse – 1848 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
3. Old Courthouse – 1848 Marker
The marker is edge-on in the left foreground.
1848 Marion County Courthouse image. Click for more information.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
4. 1848 Marion County Courthouse
National Register of Historic Places thematic nomination for the courthouse
Click for more information.
1848 Marion County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
5. 1848 Marion County Courthouse
1848 Marion County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
6. 1848 Marion County Courthouse
A small birdhouse, a miniature of the courthouse, is in the foreground.
Miniature 1848 Marion County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
7. Miniature 1848 Marion County Courthouse
The birdhouse has all the details of the Old Courthouse, complete with all the signs on the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=38187

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 28, 2022