Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Millbrook Baptist Church
This church, formally organized in 1884, had its origins in a Sunday school class organized in 1874. With 16 charter members and Rev. Arthur Buist as its first minister, Millbrook built its first sanctuary here in 1886. The frame church, built by J.V. George, was described as “one of the prettiest and best arranged” churches in this part of the state when it was dedicated.
The original 1886 church was enlarged in 1909 and again in 1952. With the growth in Aiken County’s population during the 1950s the congregation grew dramatically, building the present brick sanctuary in 1962. Dr. W. James Rivers is Millbrook’s longest-serving minister, preaching here 1967-1996. The original sanctuary, renovated in 1979 and 1984, has served as a chapel since 1962.
Erected 2003 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 2-25.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 33° 31.448′ N, 81° 43.059′ W. Marker is in Aiken, South CarolinaTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 176 East Pine Log Road, Aiken SC 29803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coker Spring (approx. 1.9 miles away); Aiken County Courthouse Bell (approx. 2.1 miles away); Whitney Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); Aiken County Museum (approx. 2.1 miles away); Transit Of Venus Observatory Structure, 1882 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Frederick Ergle Log Cabin (approx. 2.2 miles away); Water Trough and Drinking Fountain (approx. 2.2 miles away); The One Room Schoolhouse (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Coker Spring (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hitchcock Woods (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,138 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.