Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bombardment of Lewes
Bombardment of Lewes
by the British
April 6th and 7th 1813.
Placed by the
National Society U.S.
Daughters of 1812
State of Delaware
Erected 1914 by National Society U.S. Daughters of 1812 in the State of Delaware.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series list.
Location. 38° 46.553′ N, 75° 8.335′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Front Street, on the right when traveling north. Located between Neils Alley and Bank Street at 1812 Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The War of 1812 (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Bombardment of Lewes (a few steps from this marker); Otis H. Smith City Dock (a few steps The Cannonball House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Explorations of Giovanni da Verrazzano (within shouting distance of this marker); Last Lewes Pilot Skiff (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewes-Rehoboth Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Dodds Corner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Regarding The Bombardment of Lewes. In March of 1813, the Royal Navy established a blockade of the Delaware Bay and River. The British squadron, under the command of Commodore John P. Beresford, RN, took up stations off Lewes and the Delaware Capes, and began to conduct raids along the coast in an effort to disrupt maritime commerce and shipping. Many small actions resulted with numerous vessels being captured and destroyed. On this location was one of two fortifications that were built to protect the town of Lewes. These earthworks mounted several cannon, and were manned by militia under the command of Colonel Samuel Boyer Davis. After Delaware authorities refused a demand to provide supplies, the British ships took up bombardment positions off the
Also see . . .
1. Col. Samuel Boyer Davis, by Hazel D. Brittingham. "... Commanding the defense of the town was a native, Samuel Boyer Davis, who was wounded during the attack. ..." (Submitted on December 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Military and Maritime History: The Port of Lewes. by Hazel D. Brittingham. The War of 1812 brought personal wartime involvement to the populace of Lewes. The opening salvos of an account of the activity at the local coastal area, by this writer and published earlier, state: Cannonballs and Congreve rockets shattered the calm of coast and countryside on April 6-7, 1813, during America's "second war for Independence." The War of 1812 washed ashore at little Lewistown on Delaware Bay when for a dramatic 22-hour period there was an exchange of cannonballs. (Submitted on December 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 905 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on September 8, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.