Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ellendale in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ellendale's Railroad Square

 
 
Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker
Inscription.  Ellendale’s Railroad Square was a major rail junction and a beehive of economic activity in Sussex County. The first section of the Junction and Breakwater Railroad from Harrington to Milford was completed in 1859. In March 1860, the Company’s Survey Team, consisting of T.F. Tilghman as chief engineer, 1 surveyor, 1 rodman, 2 chainmen and 4 axemen, worked south through forest and farmland from Milford to Georgetown. This portion of the tracks would parallel the Federalist-era “Old State Road.” Construction was delayed by the Civil War and did not begin until 1867. By 1869 the line was completed through Ellendale and Georgetown to Lewes. It was extended from there to Rehoboth in 1878. There were 14 stations and regular passenger, mail, and freight service on the 44-mile line from Harrington to Rehoboth. Through its junctions, the J. & B. was a part of the first rail network to serve all three peninsular states – Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. In the 1890s the Queen Anne’s Railroad was built from Queenstown on Chesapeake Bay through Ellendale to Milton and Lewes on Delaware Bay. Connections were made with steamboats crossing
Ellendale's Railroad Square image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Ellendale's Railroad Square
the Chesapeake to Baltimore and the Delaware to Cape May. Around this square and the rail siding to the north were a watch box, pump house, water tower, 2 stations, stores, a cannery, the Ellendale Excelsior Company, and the R. J. Clendaniel Sawmill. In 1916 the DuPont Boulevard, now US 113, was built a mile to the west. With the improvement of roadways and their increasing use, the “golden days” of the railroad were over.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-184.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location. 38° 48.413′ N, 75° 25.372′ W. Marker is in Ellendale, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on E. Railroad Avenue just from Main Street (Delaware Road 16), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellendale DE 19941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Ellendale (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milton (approx. 5.9 miles away); Milton Public School #196-C (approx. 6.1 miles away); Abbott's Mill (approx. 6.2 miles away); Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church
Tracks running through town. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
3. Tracks running through town.
(approx. 6.2 miles away); Carey Storehouse (approx. 6.2 miles away); Cedar Creek Hundred (approx. 6.3 miles away); Governor Joseph Maull (approx. 6.3 miles away).
 
Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker, left, along Main Street, State Road 16 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
4. Ellendale's Railroad Square Marker, left, along Main Street, State Road 16
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 921 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on October 22, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2020