Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Moses Waddel
Noted Educator and Presbyterian Minister
Dr. Moses Waddel, educator and minister, was born in 1770 in N.C. At fourteen he began teaching pupils near his home. Moving to Ga. In 1786, he taught in the Greensboro area until 1787, opening another school at Bethany, Greene County, in 1788. While at Bethany Waddel decided to enter the ministry. He studied at Hampden-Sydney College and graduated in less than nine months in 1791, thereafter combining the careers of teacher and minister.
Establishing his most famous academy at Willington, S.C., in 1804, Waddel continued his work there until 1819 when he became President of Franklin College, now the University of Ga. One of the most prominent ante-bellum leaders of that institution, he served until 1829. Unwilling to divorce education from religion, Waddel stimulated the religious life of the campus. In 1820 he organized and was pastor of the First Presbyterian congregation in Athens, which became the First Presbyterian Church. The present church building was erected in 1855. Waddel died in 1840 at his son’s home in Athens. His pupils during a lifetime of teaching included John C. Calhoun, William H. Crawford, George R. Gilmer,
Erected 1963 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 029-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 57.61′ N, 83° 22.595′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is on East Hancock Street 0 miles west of College Avenue, on the left when traveling east. The marker stands adjoining the First Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 185 East Hancock Street, Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 to 1902 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Flight in Georgia (about 500 feet away); Louis H. Persley (about 800 feet away); Clarke County (about 800 feet away); Clarke County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Olympic Games in Athens (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on July 16, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 5. submitted on December 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.