Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. John's Church
— Protestant Episcopal —
Every President of the United States since President James Madison has attended occasional services here. Many of them were communicants of the parish.
This building was completed in 1816 from plans of Benjamin Henry Latrobe.
an adjacent National Historic Landmark plaque reads:
The Church of the Presidents
has been designated a
under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating and illustrating
the history of the United States
U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service
Erected by St. John's Church.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Landmarks • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 38° 54.026′ N, 77° 2.177′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1525 H Street Northwest, Washington DC 20005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ashburton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kosciuszko (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bernard Baruch Bench of Inspiration (about 300 feet away); Fleeing the Executive Mansion (about 400 feet away); The Dolly Madison House (about 400 feet away); Baron von Steuben Memorial (about 400 feet away); The Cosmos Club (about 500 feet away); "In Service" (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
Regarding St. John's Church. St. John's Church was designated a National Historic Landmark on December 19, 1960.
Also see . . . St. Johns Church. National Park Service article. (Submitted on May 27, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. Benjamin Henry Latrobe, architect.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on December 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on May 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on December 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.