Near Pleasant Plains in Sangamon County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A revolutionary soldier, 3rd N.J. Regt., built the first brick house in Sangamon County, 1820-1827.
This Clayville Tavern was built about 1834 by a son,
a soldier of 1812. Brick for both houses were made on the farm.
Stagecoaches stopped here.
Lincoln and Douglas were frequent guests.
Here passed the old Waubansie Indian Trail. Erected by Springfield Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution September 17, 1938
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 17, 1988.
Location. 39° 52.009′ N, 89° 53.793′ W. Marker is near Pleasant Plains, Illinois, in Sangamon County. Marker is on Illinois Route 125 close to Clayville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pleasant Plains IL 62677, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the Clayville (a few steps from this marker); Peter Cartwright (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mentor Graham (approx. 5.9 miles away); New Salem (approx. 6 miles away); Sangamon River (approx. 6 miles away); Historic Tree (approx. 6 miles away); Prairie Land (approx. 6 miles away); Potawatomi Trail of Death (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasant Plains.
Also see . . . Clayville Historical Site. Information about the site. (Submitted on January 1, 2011, by Larry Senalik of Pleasant Plains, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2010, by Larry Senalik of Pleasant Plains, Illinois. This page has been viewed 746 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2010, by Larry Senalik of Pleasant Plains, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.