Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931)
Lucy Cobb Institute, a College for Girls, was established in 1858 through the effort of T. R. R. Cobb and named for his daughter, Lucy. Later, three of his nieces taught here: Miss Mildred Rutherford, Principal, Mrs. Mary Ann Lipscomb, Mrs. Bessie Rutherford Mell. Closed as a school for girls in 1931, it serves as a dormitory for girls attending the University of Georgia.
Nearby is Seney-Stoval Chapel, named for George I. Seney who contributed the funds to build it and Miss Nellie Stovall who solicited his help. He also gave a pipe organ and paintings for the walls of Lucy Cobb.
“Her Alumnae Rise Up and Call Her Blessed”
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 029-8.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 33° 57.383′ N, 83° 23.333′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Athens High and Industrial School (approx. ¼ mile away); University of Georgia Botanical Garden (approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camak House: (approx. 0.4 miles away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. 0.4 miles away); America’s First Garden Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Regarding Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931). The Lucy Cobb Institute today houses offices of the Carl Vinson Institute of Government of the University of Georgia.
Also see . . . Lucy Cobb Institute. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on January 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.