Grand Canyon National Park in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Hotel (below) was built around 1895 to serve stagecoach passengers. In 1905 the hotel became Bright Angel Camp, which eventually included cabins and an adjoining tent village.
In 1935 the Fred Harvey Company replaced the camp with Bright Angel Lodge, which stands here now. The lodge is one of six historic structures at Grand Canyon designed by architect Mary Colter.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 36° 3.423′ N, 112° 8.423′ W. Marker is in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is along the South Rim walkway, adjacent to the rear of the lodge restaurant, off Village Loop Drive in Grand Canyon Village. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Canyon AZ 86023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Bright Angel Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Lookout Studio (within shouting distance of this marker); Buckey O'Neill Cabin (within shouting distance Trans-Canyon Telephone Line (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); CCC Legacy (about 400 feet away); Mule Barns (about 700 feet away); Historic Kolb Studio (about 700 feet away); Kolb Studio (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Canyon National Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 938 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.