Brandywine in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
a tract of 2530 acres patented in 1664 to
Thomas Brooke, 1632–1676,
member of the Maryland Assembly 1633–76
Presiding Justice County Court 1667
Major in forces fighting Indians 1667
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1664.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 42.048′ N, 76° 52.536′ W. Marker was in Brandywine, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker was at the intersection of Branch Avenue (Maryland Route 5) and Accokeek Road (Maryland Route 373), in the median on Branch Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 7510 Accokeek Road, Brandywine MD 20613, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named T.B. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct John Wilkes Booth and his companion David Herold (approx. 2.6 miles away); Thrift School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mattawoman Run (approx. 3.1 miles away); Louise F. Cosca Regional Park (approx. 3.2 miles away); Church of the Atonement, 1875 (approx. 3.6 miles away); Cheltenham United Methodist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandywine.
Regarding T.B.. “T.B.” was the name of a 19th century village that stood at the intersection of present-day Brandywine Road and Old Brandywine Road. The village's name reportedly derives from the boundary stone that marked the division between lands owned by William Townshend and Thomas Brooke. The marker had a "T" on one side and a "B" on the other.
Also see . . .
1. Maj. Thomas Brooke, Sr., Esq. (1632–1676). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on April 8, 2007.)
2. Marlow-Huntt House and The Casket Shop. The property as listed in the Maryland Inventory of Historical Properties (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Jacqueline White of Williamsburg, VA - Virginia.)
This marker went missing when there was road constuction in the area. Now there is road construction again and the pole is lying in the ground not far from where it originally stood. Hope it is replaced someday.
Editor's Note: Thank you. We hope it is replaced soon as well.
— Submitted June 25, 2010, by Paul Gleaves of Waldorf, Maryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2007, by Richard White of La Plata, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,010 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on January 7, 2011. Photos: 1. submitted on April 8, 2007, by Richard White of La Plata, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.