Grand Canyon National Park in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
John G. Verkamp rented a tent from the Bright Angel Hotel in 1898 and began selling curios and Indian crafts for Babbitt Brothers' Trading Company. After several slow weeks he closed and sold his stock to the hotel. But he sensed Grand Canyon's potential and returned in 1905, building Verkamp's Curios here. The Verkamp family still owns and runs the business, now a Grand Canyon landmark.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 36° 3.478′ N, 112° 8.146′ W. Marker is in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is about 50 feet north of the Verkamp's building, off Village Loop Drive, in Grand Canyon Village. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Canyon AZ 86023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hopi House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Hopi House (about 400 feet away); El Tovar (about 400 feet away); El Tovar Hotel (about 400 feet away); a different El Tovar Hotel (about 400 feet away); Santa Fe Depot (about 500 feet away); Grand Canyon Depot (about 500 feet away); CCC Legacy (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Canyon National Park.
Regarding Verkamp's Curios. The Verkamp's family sold the building to the National Park Service, which opened it as a visitor center and museum in November 2008.
Also see . . . Verkamp's Visitor Center. (Submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 699 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.