Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Oglebay Mansion Museum
Earl William Oglebay
1849 — 1926
and Sallie Paull Howell Oglebay
1856 — 1916
Daughter Sarita Oglebay Burton
1882 — 1930
Grandson Courtney Burton, Jr.
1912 — 1992
Waddington Farm was a gift
From Colonel Oglebay
to the citizens of the
City of Wheeling
• • • • • •
This facility was the first
to be accredited in West Virginia
by the American Association of Museums
and is on the National Register
of Historic Places.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 40° 6.148′ N, 80° 40.137′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is on Bethany Pike (West Virginia Route 88) 1.7 miles east of Greggsville Clinton and Potomac Road (County Route 7). This historical marker is affixed to the eastern side of the Oglebay Mansion, which is located in a rural area several miles northeast of downtown Wheeling. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Formal Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker); South Lawn (within shouting distance of this marker); Guest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenhouses (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Farm Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carriage House Glass (approx. 0.2 miles away); Serpentine Drive (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
More about this marker. The Oglebay Mansion is part of a large estate that was donated to the local Wheeling community and developed into a multi-purpose community recreational/park facility with magnificent landscaping around the estates original structures. Walking on the grounds of the property and viewing the structures that made up the living areas of the Oglebays is an insightful glimpse into Wheeling's past.
Also see . . . A Brief History of Oglebay. The history of Oglebay can be traced to the late 1700s, when a frontiersman named Silas Zane was awarded a land grant of 400 rolling acres in northwestern Virginia. This land remained in the Zane family until 1812. The land changed hands several times. By 1888 the owner of record was A. Allen Howell, the father of Sallie Howell Oglebay. When Earl W. Oglebay purchased Waddington Farm from his mother-in-law’s estate in 1900, the property was just a 25-acre tract, but the astute Cleveland industrialist gradually increased it until the farm was almost twice as large as the original land grant.... (Submitted on November 26, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 16, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.