Normal in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Councill Training School
(1919 - 1970)
In 1952, the school was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Enrollment increased from 600 to 950; faculty from 22 to 32. Additional classrooms were constructed in 1958 and 1962. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 impacted the future of the school. As black students attended neighborhood schools due to integration, enrollment declined. In 1968, the school became a senior high school, limited to grades 10-12. The school closed in 1970 as full integration took
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and the Rosenwald Schools series lists.
Location. 34° 46.96′ N, 86° 34.344′ W. Marker is in Normal, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Meridian Street ¼ mile north of Chase Road NE, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in front of the Old Councill Training School building, a portion or all of which is now occupied by the Alabama A&M University ROTC program. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Normal AL 35762, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Hooper Councill (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University / Alabama A&M University former names (approx. ¼ mile away); Harris Hill Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Dallas (Optimist) Park / (Dallas) Optimist Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); Dallas Mills and Village / Rison School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lowry House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lincoln School and Village (approx. 2.7 miles away); Oak Place (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Normal.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,091 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.