Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Alamance County Courthouse
Erected by Graham Historic District Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 36° 4.169′ N, 79° 24.025′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Elm Street on Main Street. The marker is located to the right side of the north steps of the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Court Square, Graham NC 27253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alamance County Confederate Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Vestal Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Graham's First Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); National Bank of Alamance (within shouting distance of this marker); Wrike Drug (within shouting distance of this marker); "Elmhurst" (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Harden HouseOriginally a Wing of the Union Hotel (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
Regarding Alamance County Courthouse. Prior to 1849, court for the region was held at Providence Meeting House on North Main Street, Graham.
The new county of Alamance was formed in 1849, and Graham was named its county seat.
On July 17, 1849, the Alamance County Commissioners voted to spend $8,000 to purchase land and construct a courthouse in the approximate center of the new county, about two miles south of the Providence Church. The courthouse itself was constructed with brick and roofed with either tin, zinc, or copper, and was built with the help of slave labor for $6,400. The original courthouse was remodeled in 1882, 1888 and again in 1889 at a cost of $7,500, adding 2 additional wings and stuccoing the outside of the building.
The current three-story courthouse is a Neo-Classical Revival style building. It was designed by Harry Barton (1876 - 1956) of Greensboro. Barton, a well-known architect of public buildings, including many courthouses across North Carolina.
The courthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The current courthouse
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. This page has been viewed 1,319 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on January 26, 2011, by Scott Ward of Graham, North Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 27, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.