Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Knox in Hardin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Visitor's House

Historic Fort Knox

 
 
Visitor's House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
1. Visitor's House Marker
Inscription.  This building, completed in the summer of 1919, was originally known as the Visitor's House. It was built by the National Catholic War Council, an organization of the Knights of Columbus, to accommodate families and friends that came to visit soldiers of early Camp Knox. The house had 14 guest rooms, a lounge, writing rooms, a cafeteria and a dining room. A Catholic chaplain affiliated with the Knights of Columbus managed the guest house. In the early 1930's when the mechanized forces moved to Fort Knox it was converted to provide a post hospital and later served as the hospital annex. In July 1940, when the initial armored divisions in the US Army were formed, the First Armored (Old Ironsides) Division established its headquarters here. This building has been occupied by various staff sections of the Armor Center since April 1942, when the First Armored Division departed for Europe.
 
Erected by USA Armor Center.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionForts and Castles
Visitor's House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
2. Visitor's House Marker
Looking south along Bullion Blvd.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWar, World II. A significant historical date for this entry is April 11, 1942.
 
Location. 37° 53.905′ N, 85° 57.582′ W. Marker is in Fort Knox, Kentucky, in Hardin County. Marker is on Bullion Boulevard, 0.1 miles north of Chaffee Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Knox KY 40121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Post Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Main Post Chapel (approx. half a mile away); St. Patrick's Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Knox (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Armored Force School (approx. Ύ mile away); LST Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); U.S Bullion Depository (approx. 5.2 miles away); Fort Knox, Kentucky (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Knox.
 
Visitor's House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
3. Visitor's House
Visitor's House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
4. Visitor's House
Dedication plaque near the main entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 517 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=39929

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 25, 2022