Fort Knox in Hardin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Armored Force School
Historic Fort Knox
Following formation of the armored force in July 1940 a specialized school was authorized and activated to train officers and soldiers for the armor divisions and battalions of World War II.
Formal instruction began 4 November 1940 with enrollment of 200 officers and 2,000 soldiers. Subjects included tactics, gunnery, communications, and driving and maintenance of tanks, wheeled vehicles, and motorcycles. An Officer Candidate School was established in May 1941 and graduated 11,600 lieutenants before inactivation in 1945. In May 1955, the Armored School was redesignated the US Army Armor School.
From its initial World War II role, the US Army Armor School was expanded to become one of the largest and most progressive armor and armored cavalry training schools in the world. The US Army Armor School's proud heritage is reflected in the motto "Forge The Thunderbolt."
Erected by USA Armor Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1941.
Location. 37° 54.477′ N, 85° 57.161′ W. Marker is in Fort Knox, Kentucky, in Hardin County. Marker is on Old Ironsides Avenue north of Black Horse Regiment Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. LST Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); M60A1 Tank (approx. 0.7 miles away); US Army ROTC Memorial (approx. Ύ mile away); Visitor's House (approx. Ύ mile away); Godman Field (approx. 0.8 miles away); US Army Armor Center (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stithton, Kentucky (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dedicated to the Soldier Medic (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Knox.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.