Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Old Monterey Jail

 
 
Old Monterey Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 22, 2010
1. Old Monterey Jail Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1854 when Monterey was the county seat. The building was used as the city jail until 1956.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
 
Location. 36° 35.856′ N, 121° 53.863′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is at the intersection of Dutra Street and King Street, on the right on Dutra Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vasquez Adobe (within shouting distance of this marker); Colton Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Colton Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Colton Hall – Site of California’s Original Constitution (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Seal of the State of California (within shouting distance of this marker); Chaplain Walter Colton, U.S.N., 1787-1851 (within shouting distance of this marker); Monterey History Time Line (within shouting
Old Monterey Jail and Marker - view from west image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 22, 2010
2. Old Monterey Jail and Marker - view from west
From the HABS architectural description: The building is a one-story stone building constructed in 1854, comprising 6 prison cells and 2 administration offices, with a third room in the wing connecting the building with Colton Hall. The stone is rough granite ashlar, cut to uniform height and irregular length, laid up in running bond and left exposed.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); Gordon House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on two poles directly in front of the jail on the Dutra Street (west or back) side of Colton Hall.
 
Old Monterey Jail - east (Colton Hall) side image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 22, 2010
3. Old Monterey Jail - east (Colton Hall) side
Old Monterey Jail and Colton Hall image. Click for full size.
Unknown, image courtesy of the Historic American Building Survey, 1890
4. Old Monterey Jail and Colton Hall
The jail, built in 1854, abuts Colton Hall, built 1847-49. Colton Hall was the site of California's constitutional convention (September 1 - October 15, 1849), and is California State Historical Landmark number 126.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 784 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40185

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021