Watervliet in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1826 - 1950 First Chime &
Carillon in U.S. Cast Here
Foremost Bell Maker
Patented Rotary Yoke And
Erected by Watervliet Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 42° 43.591′ N, 73° 42.011′ W. Marker is in Watervliet, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Broadway, on the right when traveling south. The marker is beside the CDTA bus stop, just north of the Watervliet Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Watervliet NY 12189, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Parrott Rifle (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Watervliet (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Patrick's Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Nalle Rescue (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Those Who Served (about 600 feet away); U.S. Army 3 Inch M5 Antitank Gun (about 600 feet away); Peter J. Dalessandro (about 600 feet away); Uncle Sam (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watervliet.
Regarding Meneely Foundry. After the prosperity brought on by the Erie Canal changed West Troy ( now Watervliet) from a rural area into a bustling community with in two decades of its 1825 opening, Andrew Meneely, a native of Scotland, had come to the United States in early 1800's and immediately got a job in the Julius Hanks foundry in Troy. He married Hanks' cousin and convinced Hanks to build a bell foundry in West Troy which in now Watervliet. The plant opened in 1829 and within a decade the West Troy foundry was shipping carillons and bells throughout the country, and even overseas. By the end of the Civil War, the Meneely Bell Co. had earned world renown for its bells. In the course
After the death of Andrew Meneely in 1851, his sons Edward and George took over the operations and they continued to manufacture bells at a dizzy pace. By the early 1900's Meneely Bells rang in Scotland, France, England, Germany, Australia, India and South America. World War II proved fateful to the Meneely Bell Co., as copper and tin became unusable for non-war operations. Before Meneely could reopen, the Korean War came along to continue a restriction on bell materials.
The foundry's demise became inevitable and in 1954 The Meneely Bell Foundry closed. In 1974 the Watervliet Historical Society tried to save the foundry building that had been idle for 20 years, but the city's urban renewal plans were already complete and the effort failed. In 1975 the building was torn down to make room for downtown development.
The Mayor J. Leo O'Brien Municipal Center which houses the Watervliet Library and the Senior Center is on the site of the former Meneely Bell Foundry.
Also see . . . Index to carillons and chimes by Meneely (Watervliet). Also some historical notes. (Submitted on September 5, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.)
1. Andrew Meneely
Andrew Meneely was the son of Andrew James Meneely and Eleanor Cobb Meneely who immigrated from the North of Ireland in 1795.
— Submitted December 3, 2010, by Vence Meneely of Shidler, Oklahoma.
Additional keywords. West Troy
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 3,320 times since then and 112 times this year. Last updated on February 16, 2011, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 27, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.